You pass Shawn’s Gate in the south of the Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve and you delve into your past and very origin. It is awakening something that deeply buried in our DNA – at least for me it feels like this. This is how Earth is supposed to be. It is beautiful, breathtaking and deadly. The architectural purity of the equilibrium designed by nature is beyond any beauty we could create.
That is of course not something you will realize when passing Shawn’s Gate. It will take some time there but with open eyes and all other senses you will see and feel it.
My first stay is at Umkumbe Lodge. It is the most simple and basic, but actually my most favorite. As you can see on the map it is right between Mala Mala and Sabi Sabi to of the probably most expensive locations in South Africa. Oh and yes, there are no heated toilet seats, but: It’s cool and you will get this wonderful ‘Hatari’ feeling. Jason and Oliver are also doing a great job as rangers there!
Life and daily routine on Safari
- 5:00: The ranger must die! You are tired, it is dark and actually there is no real reason to wake up so early.
- 5:30: Throw in some rooibos tea
- 6:00: Of to the early morning game drive
- 9:00-10:00: Back for breakfast
- 10:30-15:30 Roll to the pool and do a little bit of nothing (Bush TV)
- 16:00: Of to the late afternoon game drive
- 18:00: Sundowner
- 20:00: Dinner in a boma
- 21:00 – open end: Fun with other guests fighting the bar resources